Hiccups may occur individually, or they can occur in a stretch. The rhythm of their occurrence is constant. One does not want to be constantly suffering from hiccups and wants to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Hiccups are annoying and embarrassing when in public. Here in this article, we are going to share How to Stop Hiccups – Effective Home Remedies and how to get rid of it.
Causes of Hiccups
There are too many causes of hiccups, these include:
* Gastroesophageal Reflux
* Rapid Eating
* Hiatus Hernia
* Swallowing excessive air
* Opiate Drug use
* Intense Emotions such as joy, anxiety, fear, excitement, etc
* Carbonated Beverages, Alcohol, Dry Bread, Spicy Food, etc
In very rare conditions, regularly recurring hiccups can also be a sign of some life-threatening diseases or some other serious medical issues.
– CNS Disorders:
* Multiple Sclerosis
– Nerve Damage:
* Damage to the Vagus Nerve after surgery
– Evolutionary Causes:
* Clearance of air from the stomach: Hiccups occur only in mammals and the most commonly, they occur in infants and as when as the person grows, the occurrence of hiccups reduces. Some studies also suggest that hiccups may have been evolved with another reflex developed in mammals which, thus, allows them to coordinate breathing and suckling milk. The hypothesis suggests that the air bubble in the stomach stimulates the sensory limb of the reflex at receptors in the stomach, esophagus and along the diaphragm.
– Phylogenetic Hypothesis:
An international group from Japan, Canada, and France proposed that hiccup is an evolutionary remnant of amphibian respiration and they concluded that the hiccup is evolutionarily antecedent to modern lung respiration.
Homemade Remedies for Hiccups
A bout of hiccups can go away without any treatment, but still, there are some homemade remedies which could be helpful in getting rid of hiccups faster.
Here are some remedies which could help a person get rid of their ever annoying Hiccups.
1) Cold Water: The most effective homemade remedy for hiccups is to drink cold water because drinking cold water can cause a shock to the system and any shock distraction leads to a person getting rid of his hiccups.
* Quickly drink a glass of water and add honey in it with which the hiccups would immediately go away.
* Gargle with cold water for one minute can also help the hiccups to stop.
* Another effective way is to suck on the cold small ice piece for a few seconds.
2) Hold Your Breath: Holding the breath is an age old cure for hiccups as it increases the supply of carbon dioxide in an individual’s body. It, thus, distracts the mind which results in stopping of hiccups.
* Take a deep breath and hold on to it for as long as possible and do not let the air pass out.
* Exhale in a controlled way
* Inhale and Exhale your breath repeatedly
* Continue this cycle until and unless the hiccups are stopped
3) Peanut Butter: Peanut Butter is also proved to be an effective measure to stop the hiccups. The gooey, sticky consistency of peanut butter interrupts with the breathing pattern as we swallow the peanut butter thus leading to the immediate stopping of hiccups.
* Put one teaspoon of peanut butter in your mouth
* Hold on to it for a few seconds and then directly take it in without chewing
* Drink a glass of water
Almond butter can also be used in place of the peanut butter.
4) Brown Bag The Hiccups: Breathing into a paper bag also helps in getting rid of the hiccups. Breathe slowly and deeply into the paper bag because it increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood stream and it makes the diaphragm contract more deeply for increased oxygen supply which, therefore, stops the hiccups.
5) Paper Towel Trick: This involves placing a single layer of paper towel over the top of the glass, and drinking through the towel. A person has to pull harder with his diaphragm to drink water which would result in getting rid of hiccups.
6) Chocolate Remedy: Eating some powdered chocolate also helps. Eat the powdered chocolate drink mix would be difficult in swallowing which directly results in curing the hiccups.
7) Eating hot sauce: Eating hot sauce works because the focus of the body will shift from the hiccups to the heat and burn and thus resulting in disappearing hiccups.
8) Lemon: Lemon is another surest way to cure the hiccups. The sour taste makes the